::writing with a side of busy::

  1. Drink 1st cup of coffee
  2. Bathe the dogs
  3. Shower
  4. Laundry - Clothes and bedding
  5. Fold laundry
  6. Make the bed
  7. Vacuum 
  8. Drink another cup of coffee
  9. Sort through the piles of junk mail
  10. Post 3 book reviews
  11. Respond to e-mails
  12. Finish crocheting a blanket 
  13. Study 
  14. I'm going to need a 3rd cup of coffee
  15. Then save the world

And, those are just a few to mention on my 'To Do' list for today. 

So, where is that magical, glowing, harp-playing-in-the-background opening in my day to write?

Um, it doesn't exist.

"Writing is done in the time we make, not the time we find." - Amy Sue Nathan

If it isn't at the top of my priorities, it doesn't get done. Everyday, I must make the decision to treat my writing time, whether it be for 15 minutes or for 2 hours, as a critical and essential part of my day. I have to make it important. If I don't, others will not.

But how does one write amidst the crazy American busyness, the jedi mind tricks, shoeing-thieving Nargles, and world dominating Fire Lords?

5 sentences.

Just write 5 sentences or edit 1 page. That's all that I require of myself because even though I've made it to the desk chair and have turned on the computer to start writing, life has just taken everything out of me and there is nothing left to pour onto the page. With 5 sentences a day, I can build a story. It's better than having no words written. As long as I have made the commitment to put my butt in the chair, I will finish my novel.

Because I am a writer, it's what I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment